The Personal Information We Collect
The school collects personal data and information about:
- Prospective, current and past students and their families
- Current and former faculty, staff, volunteers, suppliers and contractors
- Donors, friends and supporters
- Community affiliates and partners
- Website visitors
- Other individuals connected to, or visiting the school.
The personal information that the school collects takes different forms — it may include factual information, images, or other recorded information that identifies or relates to an individual. Some of this information may be publicly available; some of it may be provided through individuals’ interactions with the school. It may have been collected before or after this Policy was first published.
Examples of the personal information that the school may collect about its community members include:
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and other contact details
- Family information, date of birth, marital status and custody status
- Admissions application, open house and event attendance information
- Fundraising, communication, and advancement information
- Academic data to support the educational needs of our students, including attendance, grades, evaluations, progress reports, special educational needs, disciplinary and other education-related records
- Images, photographs, audio, and video recordings
- Presentations, meetings or events attended
- Website visitor information
- Employment data
- Financial information
- Health information, health card and social insurance numbers
- Police reference check information
The school will limit the amount and type of personal information it collects to that which is necessary for the purposes of school operations.
How We Use and Store Personal Information
The school uses personal information as required in order to carry out its educational mission and provide related services to its students and other community members.
For example, the school may use personal information collected from its prospective, current, and past students and their families for the following purposes:
- To teach and evaluate students, monitor their progress, and provide them with individualized academic and other support as appropriate
- To accommodate students with particular educational needs
- To administer its admissions and tuition support programs
- To communicate with current, former, and prospective students and their families about school events and activities, volunteer opportunities, and fundraising efforts
- To administer co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
- To supervise off-campus activities and trips
In the case of images, photographs, audio and video recordings, families are requested to provide annual consent for the use of their child/ren’s images for the purpose of promoting the school. The school is committed to using such images, photographs, audio and video recordings strictly in accordance with the consent policy.
The school may use personal information collected from its current and former faculty, staff, and volunteers to create and manage its employment and volunteer relationships, including, for example, to solicit and evaluate applications, to hire and retain individuals, to administer employment-related services such as payroll and benefits, and to monitor performance.
Only certain individuals within the school are authorized to view and use personal information. Those individuals, who may include volunteers, are permitted to use the information in accordance with their school responsibilities and only for the purposes for which the information was collected. The school has implemented policies on the appropriate handling and safeguarding of personal information. It trains its faculty and staff on these policies, and requires their adherence to these policies.
Some of the personal information collected by the school is stored by outside hosted databases or cloud storage providers. The school requires these outside entities to maintain the school’s personal information securely and in accordance with the school’s privacy policies and all applicable laws. Whenever the school uses outside online digital platforms that require student sign-up data, parents are required to provide explicit permission for such sign-up to each of these applications, including Google Classroom and Seesaw.
In some cases, personal information collected by the school may be stored on servers outside Canada. In such cases, the personal information will be subject to the laws of other jurisdictions and may be available to foreign government authorities under lawful orders and laws applicable therein.
How We Share Personal Information
The school may disclose personal information to others outside of the school where permitted by law. For example, the school may disclose personal information to outside organizations that provide services to the school, including but not limited to e-learning platforms, educational trip providers, payroll management and employment benefit providers, consultants, mailing houses and communication services. In such cases, the school discloses only the personal information necessary for the provision of the service. The service provider uses the personal information only at the school’s direction and in accordance with the school’s privacy policies and all applicable laws. The school shares lists of our graduating students with TanenbaumCHAT.
The school may also be required by law to disclose personal information in some cases. For example, in certain circumstances, the school may be obligated by law to disclose personal information to the Ontario Ministry of Education or to public health authorities. From time to time, the school may be compelled to disclose personal information in response to a law, regulation, court order, subpoena, valid demand, search warrant, government investigation, or other legally valid request or inquiry.
Except as outlined in this Policy or as required or permitted by law, the school will not disclose personal information to others outside of the school without the consent of the individual.
The school does not rent, sell, or trade personal information.
Accuracy and Changes to Personal Information
The school makes efforts to ensure that all personal information held in relation to an individual is as up-to-date and accurate as possible. All community members should notify the school of any significant changes to important information, such as contact details. Current families will be asked to verify their demographic information on an annual basis.
Questions Regarding this Policy
If you have questions regarding your personal information or its use, please contact our Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The school may amend this Policy from time to time. The date on which the Policy was last amended is provided at the end of the Policy.
October 6, 2021